another songwriter's thought

Recently I came to this thought that I want to improve and challenged myself as a songwriter.

I listened back all the stacks of songs I wrote over the months. Some were good.. if I keep looping them in my head, I think it's great. Some were just.. honest to myself.. average and terrible. I left wondering why i wrote such song.

Even when I turned on the radio, some songs.. honestly.. if you ask me.. are terrible songwriting. I do wonder why they even played on radio. Some are even sung by award winning artists.. and I honestly can't accept such 'lazy' song by them. Few 'pointless' lyrics then some few bombastic beats/melody or some sounded same like any other songs out there. If I able to question them, so what's the point of your song?

I came to a point that I told myself and God that I am not gonna compose any songs till something inspires me and hits me till it challenged me to write something different. Lyrics or melody-wise.

That's why i been listening to all sort of songs to get inspiration. Some did hit me.

And then recently I went to watch Les Miserables. The English literature, lyrics and melody really blew my mind.. I told myself I should write songs like that.

So thank you God for inspiring me.. answering me.. showing me. There's some inspiration right now in my head, thinking how to get it into paper or something tangible now. Hope someday it can see the light for people to experience it.

As a songwriter, I challenged myself not to write songs that are so 'comfortable' to me. Sometimes it's easy to compose and write songs that is soooo you or something that comes too easily for you. And I just don't want make songs that just sells or sound good. I want to compose songs that move people, that inspires people, that touch their soul and also challenge people to think.

So yea, it's a matter of pushing the gifts that God has given to me. Still learning the art of composing but doing the best that I can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2017 Timothy Lim. All Rights Reserved.